Get It is a bookmarklet: a little app that runs in your browser and lets you grab bits of the web.
Use Get It to save articles to your training page as you are reading them in your browser or iPad! Now you can add all of the content you find while browsing the web, twitter and your social networks. The content you discover on your own can be posted right into the training page, as a Draft post or saved into Notebooks, along with the full text and images in the original web page.
How to use Get It
After installing the Get It bookmarklet, whenever you see an article or blog post you would like to curate to your site, just click or touch the Get It bookmark. The tabs in the window let you choose where to save the article.
POSTS – If you haven’t set up any Topics yet, you will see the Posts tab. You can save the article as a draft post. It will have an excerpt and the attribution links and the full readable page will be available in the editor. You can follow into the WordPress editor and immediately work with the post if you click the Save Draft & Edit button.
TRAINING – This tab saves the article to your Training Page/Posts or as a Draft Post. Choose the Topic for this article and click Save. The article will be posted to your training page as “not sure” and you can use the new article to train MyCurator as well as curate it onto your live blog. Choose Save as Draft or Save Draft & Edit to save the article as a Draft Post. With the Edit option, you will follow into the WordPress editor to begin editing the post. Just resize the screen to make it easier.
Wherever the article is saved it will have an excerpt and the attribution links and the full readable page will be available in the editor.
NOTEBOOKS – Use this tab to save the article into one of your Notebooks. Just choose the Notebook from the Drop Down. You can enter a small note about this article, such as why it is important or how you plan to use it.
You may also enter a new Notebook name if this article belongs in a new Notebook (if you have not reached your Notebooks limit). If you enter a name the Notebook will be created and the article placed in the new Notebook (the drop down choice will be ignored).
If MyCurator cannot grab the full text, it will save the article with the title and a link to the original web page. You will not have the full text and images in the WordPress post editor.
You can choose to have the Get It bookmarklet always start in the Notebooks tab by setting the Option “Set Get It Default Tab to Notebooks” in the Basic tab.
Installing Get It
For all of the instructions below, you should first go to the Get It menu item in the MyCurator dashboard menu. All of the instructions here refer to the Bookmark code that shows up in the text box on your Get It page. We cannot reproduce the code here as it is specific to your installation.
PC or Mac Computers
If you have a Bookmarks bar displayed in your browser, just drag the Get It image onto your Book Mark bar in your browser.
If your bookmarks toolbar is hidden or your browser does not allow you to drag and drop the link then:
- Highlight the Bookmark code in the box then Ctrl-c/Command-c to copy the code.
- Open your Bookmarks/Favorites manager and create a new bookmark/favorite.
- Edit the name to Get It and save.
- Click Manage/Organize Bookmarks/Favorites and edit the Get It entry you just created.
- Paste the code into the URL/Location/Address field using Ctrl-v/Command-v. Save the entry
iPhone and iPad
- Touch the Bookmark code box once (keyboard appears) then touch and hold until the magnifier appears and choose Select All then Copy.
- Add a Bookmark and set the title to Get It then save.
- Now touch the bookmarks option again and choose Edit bookmarks from the top right. and select the Get It bookmark you just created.
- Touch the location box then the x and remove the old location.
- Now Touch and Paste your previous copy into the bookmark.
- Press the Bookmarks button at the top to finish editing and then touch done in the upper right.
Android based phones and tablets
- Touch the Bookmark code box until the Edit Text menu appears, choose Copy All. Touch the menu and choose Add Bookmark.
- Edit the title to Get It then touch the Location box until the Edit Text menu appears.
- Choose Paste then Done to save the bookmark